The Village Clerk is elected to a four year term. Duties of the Village Clerk include:
- Attending all official meetings of the corporate authorities, and preparing the official minutes, subject to the direction and approval of the corporate authorities.
- Provide the Village seal.
- Act as the custodian of the Village seal and affix its impression on documents whenever required. Arrange the placing of such advertisements or notices as may from time to time be required by statute, ordinance or direction of the Village Board.
- Act as the custodian of all documents belonging to the Village which are not assigned to the custody of some other officer.
- Keep and maintain a proper index of all documents and records so that ready access thereto may be had.
- Perform other duties as required by state law and as may from time to time be delegated by the President and Board of Trustees.
In case the office of Village Clerk becomes vacant for any reason, the President and Board of Trustees appoint a successor as is provided by law. The Clerk may authorize any qualified person to act in his or her absence from the Village Hall, by written delegation. During any temporary absence of the Clerk from the Village Hall, or during any temporary disability of the Clerk which prevents him or her from exercising the duties of office, the corporate authorities may by resolution, appoint a Deputy Clerk to perform the duties of the office, but no such appointment by resolution shall extend beyond the temporary absence or disability of the Clerk, except with the consent of the Clerk.
Phone: (815) 623-2829
Fax: (815) 623-1360